Thursday, March 8, 2007

Editing and the Creative Process

I often wonder about what sort of editing I would do if I ever edited. Right now I do not have any particular works that bring a tear to my eye, nothing that makes me wonder if I could write a whole pamphlet of poetry like it or put together an entire novel based on a few lines of text, but I have been putting more effort into writing lately so I may just start worrying more about editing and the creative process.

Most of the time it comes down to my being lazy or spontaneous and putting exactly what I think I want to write/read on the page without much forethought or afterthought. I am a lazy person and it shows in my writing ethic. I have to work to fix that. But fixing any problem takes time and resources.

I wrote a poem last week after my turn at the student reading, and it may be a good exercise to try to edit it, as I think the end was much weaker than the beginning when I had a great burst of creative energy. Let me see if I can do that today and get it up here for tomorrow.

In the meantime, here is a haiku I wrote in German some weeks ago. I have added the translation (also in haiku) below. Note the German words may look like they could rhyme, but they certainly do not.

Ich hätte gern ein
Glas Cola, aber ich kann
heute nicht trinken

(I would like to have
a glass of Coke, but I can't
drink any today)

No comments: